Here’s our GNC Total Lean Shake review. In this review, we’ll see how GNC’s Lean Shake compares to other weight loss products on the market in terms of hunger control, fat burning, and overall quality and value for your money.
- Only 200kcal per serving
- Good selection of nutrients & fiber to keep you nourished and satiated
- Produced by GNC, a well-known supplement manufacturer and retailer
- Some key ingredients are underdosed (e.g. chromium)
- Uses the artificial sweetener Sucralose
- Ineffective for fat burning
- Extremely expensive – $44.99 for just 16 servings
GNC Total Lean Shake is a good meal replacement option. It contains a wide range of nutrients to ensure your body is supplied with all the essentials that you would get from a regular meal – but with far fewer carbohydrates. As a result, it should help keep you fuller for longer, with fewer cravings throughout the day. However, GNC Total Lean Shake isn’t a perfect supplement by any means.
It is meant to be taken twice per day, which means it will only last you 8 days. Considering the price of $44.99, this is a bit too much! Additionally, GNC Total Lean Shake contains sucralose which is an artificial sweetener that might disrupt your gut microbiota, as shown in some studies.
It’s also worth considering that GNC Lean Shake isn’t the best choice for those of us who just like our food too much. In that sense, a better option would be a proven, natural fat burner supplement that contains key ingredients that burn fat and work excellent alongside your regular diet and exercise program.
The bottom line is, if you’re looking for a quality meal replacement shake, then GNC Total Lean Shake could be a good option for you. But if you want the most effective way to burn fat without having to sacrifice your meals, there are definitely better choices than GNC’s Lean Shake on the market today.
What do we recommend?
About GNC Total Lean Shake
GNC Total Lean Shake is an appetite-suppressing alternative to your regular meals. It’s meant to be taken as a replacement for food – and as a result, it’s packed with a good amount of protein, micronutrients as well as fiber.
Here are some product highlights:
- 25g of protein, 8g of fiber, 23 vitamins and minerals per scoop – providing the macros similar to a real meal, just with far fewer carbohydrates.
- Reduces hunger – contains dietary fiber that reduces cravings.
- Best used with an exercise and diet program – no supplement can do the hard work alone.
How Does it Work?
Unlike many weight management products you can buy, a meal replacement shake is different in the sense that it actually contains calories!
The idea is that you skip a meal in favor of a liquid shake. This is achieved by taking a single 52g scoop of GNC’s Lean Shake and mixing it with water before drinking it.
Remember, you can add milk, but this will increase the sugar and calories, which kind of makes the whole thing pointless!
When it comes to how GNC’s Lean Shake actually works it’s important to note that you’re still consuming food, it’s just in liquid form. Thus, you should feel less hungry after consuming this shake.
GNC’s Total Lean Shake comes in a variety of flavors, including:
- Cookies & Cream
- French Vanilla
- Chocolate Peanut Butter
- Mixed Berry
- Orange Cream
- Rich Chocolate
- Girl Scout Thin Mints
- Girl Scout Coconut Caramel
- Girl Scout Chocolate Peanut Butter
Our favorite was French Vanilla, but reading other people’s reviews, they all taste pretty good and mix well with water!
How to Use GNC Total Lean Shake
The official dosage instructions for GNC Total Lean Shake is to mix one heaping scoop (52g) (one serving) with 8-10 fl. oz. of water, two times per day.
Doing it this way, GNC Lean Shake will only last you 8 days. This makes it a bit pricey (more on that below).
GNC Total Lean Shake Nutrition Facts & Information
Here are nutrition facts of GNC Lean Shake (per scoop):
- 200 calories
- 3g of fat
- 2g of saturated fat
- 55mg of cholesterol
- 120mg of sodium
- 19g of carbohydrates
- 8g of dietary fiber
- 3g of total sugars
- 25g of protein
GNC Total Lean Shake: The Ingredients
The good thing about GNC Lean Shake is that you can see all the ingredients and their doses on the label. Props to the manufacturer for that. There are a lot of supplements out there that use proprietary blends, so you’re unable to see ingredient doses.
Being able to see the amounts of ingredients in GNC Lean Shake allows us to assess if the formula is effective, safe, and optimally dosed for daily use. And, it is.
GNC Lean Shake contains good amounts of various essential ingredients, including protein, vitamins, and minerals. It also contains a decent 8 grams of fiber per serving to keep you satiated (it uses a type of fiber that swells in our stomachs, keeping us feeling fuller for longer).
It’s nice to see that there are vitamins B6 and B12 added to GNC Lean Shake’s formula, which are especially important if you’re on a plant-based diet. Vitamin B12, in particular, is more abundant in animal food sources. Lack of this nutrient can make it hard to lose weight, along with negatively affecting your energy levels and overall vitality.
Other key ingredients in GNC Lean Shake include:
- Chromium. Chromium is one of those nutrients you need only in trace amounts. It helps to regulate your blood sugar levels which in turn balances cravings or energy dips throughout the day. However, the chromium in GNC Total Lean Shake is underdosed at just 24mcg per serving. The effective dose for hunger control starts at 200mcg.
- Iron and Folate. These nutrients are crucial in your body’s ability to produce new red blood cells. This may be helpful for women as they lose blood during menstruation, and if they lack iron or folate, they risk having low red blood cell count, which manifests as low energy and weakness.
- Selenium. This mineral fights oxidative stress caused by free radicals and toxins in our environment, along with promoting hair and nail health.
- Zinc. Zinc is primarily used in supplements for testosterone enhancement. However, some studies show that low zinc can also lead to easier time gaining weight. So, getting enough zinc every day should help you with your fitness goals, whether you’re a male or a female.
Our Thoughts on the Ingredient Profile
GNC Total Lean Shake’s formula seems good when it comes to helping reduce hunger between meals, but we do wonder if it could be more effective in the fat loss department. It is missing many of the best natural ingredients for fat burning, including:
- Caffeine – boosts energy levels, improves focus & willpower, enhances metabolic function
- Green Tea Extract – stimulates fat breakdown, increases the number of calories burned throughout the day
- Cayenne Pepper Extract – boosts thermogenesis, blocks fat gain
- Glucomannan – one of the most effective types of dietary fiber for hunger control, it swells up to 100x its original size
Another downside of GNC Lean Shake’s formula is that you have to skip at least one, or ideally, two meals in a day. For those of us who just can’t sacrifice our food this might mean it’s not a sustainable option.
A fat burner that aids energy levels and thermogenesis and works alongside a healthy diet might be a more realistic option.
GNC Total Lean Shake is generally well-received among its customers. Most users are happy with how safe and light this shake is. Unless you have sensitivity to any of its ingredients, it doesn’t appear to be causing any bloating or other issues for most healthy users.
That said, there have been some reports of negative side effects from using GNC Lean Shake. In some cases, users have also complained about the lack of “concrete results” from using this product, in terms of weight loss.
Does GNC Total Lean Shake Side Effects?
GNC Total Lean Shake contains nutrients and ingredients commonly found in our everyday food, so it’s highly unlikely to cause you any side effects. If you are sensitive to fiber, you may experience some bloating and stomach discomfort from using GNC Total Lean Shake. Otherwise, it seems to be one of the safer weight loss supplements out there.
GNC Total Lean Shake Review Summary
GNC Total Lean Shake could be a good option if you’re looking for a healthy meal replacement. However, we don’t think users should expect wonders from this shake in terms of weight loss.
This shake is decent for keeping cravings at bay for a few hours between your meals, but it’s definitely missing more proven ingredients to help with fat burning and metabolic function.
It’s also important to keep in mind that GNC Total Lean Shake will only last you 8 days if you stick to the dosage recommendations (2 servings per day). Considering that it costs $44.99 per tub, that’s a pretty steep price!
If you’re looking for the most effective way of dropping pounds, then there are definitely better options available than GNC’s Total Lean Shake on the market in this price range.