Phenocal vs Leanbean: which one will give you more energy, help you burn fat faster, and feel healthier overall? Our team shares our thoughts on both supplements as well as how they compare to other fat burners on the market. Short on time? Here’s a quick summary.
[Phenocal vs Leanbean SUMMARY] Both supplements are natural. Phenocal, delivered in huge 150-capsule bottles, contains an equally huge formula, but it uses a proprietary blend so we can’t see the doses of many of its ingredients. Leanbean, on the other hand, contains 180 capsules per bottle, and is designed specifically for females to reduce appetite and increase metabolic speed. Unfortunately, we don’t think it can do either as it’s missing core ingredients, including green tea extract, cayenne extract, and vitamin D amongst others. While we appreciate Leanbean being vegan-friendly and completely transparent with its ingredient label, it’s still not quite as effective as some other women’s fat burners on the market.
What do we recommend?
Phenocal vs Leanbean – The Overview
Phenocal is a diet pill made to help with natural weight management. Featuring ingredients like Glucomannan, Green Tea Extract, and B vitamins, Phenocal helps with:
- Metabolic rate
- The conversion of stored body fat into energy
- Fullness and appetite reduction
Phenocal dosage is 3 capsules, twice per day. First thing in the morning 15 minutes after waking up, with a full glass of water. And the second serving in the early afternoon. This way of dosing is decent, but it’d be even better if it had 3 or 4 daily servings to maintain the benefits for longer.
As an OTC weight-loss supplement, Phenocal is completely natural, contains studied ingredients, and you can buy it online without needing a prescription.
However, Phenocal contains a proprietary blend, which blocks us from seeing the doses of certain ingredients in the product. More on that below. Let’s see what Leanbean is and how it differs from Phenocal.
Leanbean is a female-focused fat burner. Also 100% plant-based, this nicely-looking weight loss supplement claims to enhance your body’s fat-burning potential, and reduce cravings for sugar, so you’re less likely to overdo it with snacks.
Compared to Phenocal’s 150 capsules per bottle, Lebean has even more – 180 caps. Much like Phenocal, Leanbean is low-stim which means you don’t need to worry about the caffeine jitters. This is also a downside, though, as Leanbean won’t provide you with the same energy kick as a clinically dosed caffeinated fat burner would.
Leanbean’s dosage is 2 capsules, 3 times per day. This is a little better than Phenocal’s 2 servings per day, though still not quite as effective as some other leading weight loss supplements on sale.
Phenocal vs Leanbean – The Ingredients
A fat burner is only as effective as its ingredients. Unfortunately, both Phenocal and Leanbean come with some major downsides when it comes to their ingredient profiles.
While Phenocal contains a wider spectrum of ingredients, many of them are hidden within a so-called proprietary blend. What is a proprietary blend? It’s a mixture of ingredients put as a single dose on the label. You can’t see the dose of each ingredient in the blend, but only their combined dose. This is a problem because it prevents us from knowing how effective and safe the ingredients in Phenocal are.
Leanbean, on the other hand, contains a completely transparent label, so you know exactly how much of the ingredients you’re getting. But Leanbean is missing many of the best-rated fat burning ingredients, such as cayenne pepper, green tea extract, and others. It also uses several herbs and nutrients that don’t have any notable effects on weight loss.
What this means is, you’ll get weak effects from Leanbean. No energy boost, and only a slight increase in your metabolic rate thanks to some of its thermogenic compounds.
Phenocal, on the other hand, while containing a bunch of ingredients – some of which work and some don’t – doesn’t show their doses so it’s difficult to assess how they will work for you.
Both Phenocal and Leanbean contain some common ingredients, including chromium, Garcinia Cambogia and B vitamins.
See for yourself.
Phenocal’s ingredient profile contains a few good ingredients, such as green tea, chromium and vitamin D. These have all been shown in studies to contribute to weight loss – either by increasing the number of calories your body burns, or by stabilizing blood sugars so you don’t gain excess body fat from eating food. However, most of the ingredients in Phenocal are either underdosed, or they don’t have their doses shown at all. This diminishes the results you’ll be getting from this fat burner.
- Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol) – Vitamin D is best known for being the “happiness vitamin” or “mood-boosting vitamin”. Synthesized by our skin from sun exposure, vitamin D is also shonw to support metabolic health, which could benefit weight loss. However, the dosage of vitamin D for weight loss needs to be 5,000IU per day or more – Phenocal only has 1,000IU.
- B Vitamins – B vitamins are a family of 8 essential vitamins that can help boost your energy, mood, and even contribute to a healthier metabolism. However, in order to reap any of these benefits, you’d need to be deficient in B itamins. Which is difficult since most foods contain plenty of these nutrients.
- Chromium (Picolinate)– Chromium is a trace mineral and a great choice here. It helps reduce food cravings and mood swings by stabilizing your blood sugar levels, thus indirectly contributing to weight loss over the long-term.
- Fucoxanthin – Fucoxanthin is a marine antioxidant. It is a good general health ingredient, but not really a fat burner!
- Bioperine® (Black Pepper Ext.) – BioPerine is a type of Black Pepper Extract, which contains the active compound piperine, which helps your body with the digestion of other compounds in Phenocal.
- Proprietary Blend – This is the proprietary blend in Phenocal we’ve been talking about. Weighing 2,230mg, it contains the following ingredients in unknown amounts:
- Green Tea Leaf Extract (unknown dosage) – Green tea is an excellent natural fat burner. It raises your body’s core metabolic processes, leading to more calories being spent for energy.
- Glucomannan (unknown dosage) – Glucomannan is one of the best appetite suppressants around. When you drink it with water, it can swell in your stomach up to 100x its original size. However, the dosage needs to be at least 1,500mg-3,000mg in order to swell significantly enough to cause a reduction in appetite. We don’t know how much is in Phenocal; we doubt it’s enough since the entire proprietary blend weighs only 2,230mg.
- L-Tyrosine (unknown dosage) – Tyrosine is an amino acid with mental benefits. It helps your brain make more dopamine so you have better focus and motivation. This can be useful in a nootropic or a pre-workout supplement, but there are better ingredients to include in a fat burner. Even if it helped fat loss, L-Tyrosine is probably underdosed in Phenocal as the optimal dose for this ingredient is 1,000mg – this would take up half of the entire proprietary blend.
- Cocoa Extract (unknown dosage) – Cocoa extract packs beneficial compounds that aid your liver and detoxification pathways. No proven fat loss benefits, though!
- Garcinia Cambogia (unknown dosage) – Garcinia is a well-known tropical fruit with fat burning properties. With this one, you’ll need only 50-100mg per serving. This dose is more than enough to provide a fat-burning effect. However, more than that can cause severe side effects, such as a liver strain. The problem is, we don’t know Garcinia’s dose in Phenocal.
- Yerba Mate (unknown dosage) – Yerba mate is a traditional South American drink. It’s full of antioxidants which, while great for your health in general, aren’t that effective as far as weight loss goes.
- Coleus Forskohlii (unknown dosage) – Coleus Foskohlii contains a compound called Forskolin, which has modest effect on our metabolism. It works by affecting a system in your body called PPAR. However, this effect has been shown as too weak to result in noticeable weight loss.
- L-Tryptophan (unknown dosage) – This is a cognitive booster. It boosts serotonin, a brain chemical that makes you feel good mentally, along with helping with sleep. Sadly, it’s yet another ingredient in Phenocal that has better alternatives out there when it comes to weight loss.
- CLA (unknown dosage) – CLA is a blend of fatty acids that are touted as a weight loss aid. Though human studies are scarce on this one, any potential fat burning effects are weak at best. A better alternative here would be cayenne pepper extract.
- 5-HTP (unknown dosage) – 5-HTP is a chemical that stimulates your brain to make more serotonin. Which, again, helps with mood regulation and sleep, since serotonin converts to melatonin, which is a sleep hormone.
- Chromium – A trace mineral that supports your blood glucose levels.
- Zinc – Excellent for overall health, but Leanbean uses the poorly absorbable Zinc Oxide here. This form is known to cause diarrhea.
- Choline – Choline is a natural nootropic that enhances memory and word recall. We’re not sure what it’s doing here in a weight loss supplement!
- Garcinia Cambogia – As we’ve seen with Phenocal, Garcinia can be a strong fat burning compound, but it needs to be dosed lightly to avoid liver strain.
- Green Coffee Bean Extract – Green Coffee Bean is a source of fibers and acids that may promote healthier blood sugar levels.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a popular spice that helps reduce inflammation in the body, which indirectly contributes to weight loss.
- Acai berry extract – Acai berries are a source of antioxidants that, while beneficial for skin and immune health, aren’t any good for weight loss.
- B Vitamins – Leanbean contains both vitamin B6 and B12. Both can help boost your energy levels if you’re deficient. (study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7019700/)
- Glucomannan – This natural fiber is known to reduce hunger and sugar cravings. (study: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15614200/)
- Black Pepper Extract – This has the active compound piperine, which may enhance the absorption of other ingredients in Leanbean.
Phenocal vs Leanbean – Side Effects
Phenocal and Leanbean are both relatively safe fat burners. Both are stim-free, and all of their ingredients are well-known in the scientific community. As a result, neither one should cause you negative side effects. The only potential remark here goes to Phenocal which uses a proprietary blend, so some ingredients could be over-served without us knowing.
Cost & Where to Buy?
Leanbean will cost you $59.99 per bottle, and is only available on the manufacturer’s website. Phenocal costs $49.45 plus shipping, and is available on Amazon and other websites online.
We don’t currently rate neither Phenocal nor Leanbean as the best weight loss supplements. Both come with downsides that are hard to look past.
In Phenocal’s case, that’s lack of transparency on the label. You can’t tell how much of the ingredients you’re getting, which makes it difficult to asses the effectiveness of the supplement.
As for Leanbean, it’s 100% transparent and vegan-friendly, but it’s lacking core ingredients. It only has a few decent weight loss nutrients and herbs, but we haven’t found these to be enough to give you that energy and fat-burning kick. For the price, there are definitely better fat burners available on the market than either Leanbean or Phenocal.