Phenocal vs Phentermine: which one is better for increasing your energy levels, reducing appetite, and turning your body into a fat-burning machine? Our team finds out!
[Phenocal vs Phentermine SUMMARY] While neither Phenocal nor Phentermine make it on our list of the best weight loss aids, we do rate Phenocal as the winner here. Phentermine is a prescription-only drug that helps you lose weight by ramping up your energy levels and your central nervous system. It’s quite aggressive in its effects and it’s only meant to be used short-term. In addition, you can get Phentermine from your doctor only if you pass the strict qualifications for it. Phenocal, on the other hand, can easily be bought over the counter at different online retailers. Phenocal consists of natural ingredients that may support the loss of weight by increasing your metabolism slightly, and improving your mental focus so you’re less likely to snack on unhealthy foods. However, Phenocal doesn’t show us most of its ingredient doses, and is missing some core herbs and nutrients that would make it better at promoting fat burning. As a result, we don’t consider it one of the best diet pills we’ve tried.
Phenocal vs Phentermine – The Overview
Here we have a quick overview of Phenocal and Phentermine. What do they do, how they work, and what other basic information should you know about them… all of these questions are going to be explained below.
To start with Phenocal. It’s a diet pill designed to provide a natural weight management support. It consists of B vitamins, Glucomannan, Green Tea Extrat, and Cocoa Extract amongst others. Together, the ingredients in Phenocal are said to help you with:
- Metabolic speed
- Fat breakdown
Phenocal is an over-the-counter (OTC) weight loss supplement, which means anyone can buy it online.
On the other hand, Phentermine is a drug only available through your doctor’s prescription. It’s one of the most popular weight loss medications in the world.
It’s proven to boost short-term weight loss when taken alongside calorie-restricted diet and exercise. However, taking Phentermine isn’t without its risks, which deters many people away from ever considering it. More on why this is the case below.
Phenocal vs Phentermine – The Ingredients
- Vitamin D3 (as Cholecalciferol) – Vitamin D is a good addition to any fat burner. Synthesized by our skin from the sun, vitamin D plays a crucial role in mood regulation, memory function, and helping fight against depression symptoms. Some studies show it may also support weight loss – however, at doses 5,000IU per day or higher. Phenocal only has 1,000IU per serving.
- B Vitamins – B vitamins are a group of 8 essential vitamins. This means your body can’t make them on its own, you need to get them from your diet. Supplementing can confer benefits such as improved focus, mental energy, and such. Luckily, many foods contains high amounts of B vitamins. Unless you’re severely deficient, which is difficult, you won’t see any noticeable effects.
- Chromium (Picolinate)– Chromium is a trace mineral. It has an interesting ability; it helps balance blood sugar, which can help smoothen out your energy levels throughout the day. While it’s easy to see how this could be beneficial for weight loss, there are definitely better ingredients that could have been put in chromium’s stead here.
- Fucoxanthin – Fucoxanthin is a carotenoid found in brown algae. It has antioxidant effects; protecting your brain cells from oxidative stress. This makes it a good ingredient for a nootropic, not a weight loss supplement!
- Bioperine® (Black Pepper Ext.) – BioPerine is a patented form of Black Pepper Extract. It contains 95% of the pepper’s active compound piperine, which helps your body better digest other ingredients in the formula. A good choice al in all!
- Proprietary Blend – Here we come to the big proprietary blend (2,230mg) of Phenocal. It contains a mixture of ingredients in unknown dosages. Which is a shame since some of these ingredients are well-researched and known to improve fat loss when taken in optimal doses. See for yourself:
- Green Tea Leaf Extract (unknown dosage) – Green tea is an excellent weight loss ingredient. It helps to boost energy expenditure, therefore, making you burn more calories.
- Glucomannan (unknown dosage) – Glucomannan helps you eat less by making you feel fuller. It achieves this by swelling in your stomach up to 100x its original size after ingestion.
- L-Tyrosine (unknown dosage) – Tyrosine is more of a mental aid here. It helps your brain make more dopamine, which in turn gives you better mental focus and motivation. However, you’ll need to take at least 500-1,000mg of Tyrosine to get the full effect. We can’t see how much is in Phenocal.
- Cocoa Extract (unknown dosage) – Cocoa extracts are full of antioxidants that are beneficial for general health. And that’s about it!
- Garcinia Cambogia (unknown dosage) – Garcinia is an excellent choice for a fat burner, but it needs to be dosed lightly to avoid negative side effects. 50-100mg per serving is plenty and can help your body break down more fat and use it for fuel. More than that and it can put a strain on the liver.
- Yerba Mate (unknown dosage) – Yerba mate is a popular South American drink. Somewhat similar to green tea in terms of its antioxidant and caffeine content. It will help to boost your energy levels.
- Coleus Forskohlii (unknown dosage) – Coleus Foskohlii is a source of a compound called Forskolin, which has fairly weak effects on the metabolism. Most quality fat burners avoid it because there are more effective options on the natural market.
- L-Tryptophan (unknown dosage) – Another cognitive booster. Tryptohan, in this case, helps with the production of serotonin in your brain, which can make you feel better mentally, and also improve your sleep.
- CLA (unknown dosage) – CLA is a mixture of fatty acids that are commonly marketed as a weight loss aid, but aren’t proven to do anything really. A better alternative here would be cayenne pepper extract.
- 5-HTP (unknown dosage) – 5-HTP is a synthetic supplement that stimulates your brain to make more serotonin. Which, again, can help you with mood and sleep.
Our Thoughts on Phenocal’s Ingredient Profile: As a whole, Phenocal’s ingredient profile didn’t blow us away. It’s got a few decent weight loss ingredients, such as green tea, chromium, and vitamin D. However, most of these key ingredients are either underdosed, or don’t have their doses shown on the label at all. You will likely notice a boost in mental energy and clarity from some of its nootropics, but as far as fat burning goes, there are definitely better ingredient formulas on the market.
Phentermine is the active ingredient similar to the stimulant amphetamine. It works by revving up your central nervous system (CNS), which results in increased heart rate and blood pressure, and reduced appetite. Due to its aggressive effects, Phentermine is a controlled substance, which means you can only legally get it through a doctor’s prescription.
Doctors prescribe Phentermine together with diet and exercise to help their patients overcome obesity.
Phentermine goes by different brand names, including Suprenza, Adipex-P, and Lomaira.
The issue with Phentermine is that not only it comes with a whole slew of side effects, not everyone can take it either. You need to meet certain qualifications in order for your doctor to prescribe it, such as being obese with a BMI equal or greater than 30.
Phenocal vs Phentermine – Side Effects
Phenocal contains next to no stimulants, and all of its ingredients are known to be safe in scientific studies. Phentermine, on the other hand, is known to cause a wide range of side effects, including:
- High Blood Pressure
- Racind Heart
As always, check with your MD to see what lifestyle changes you’d need to implement in order to achieve your goals, in a healthy and safe way.
Cost & Where to Buy?
Phenocal is available at numerous places online, including on Amazon and its official website, where it costs $49.45 plus shipping.
Phentermine, as we said, is only available through your doctor’s prescription. It’s not a dietary supplement, which means it can’t legally be bought over the counter or on the internet.
So, Phenocal vs Phentermine: which one should you go for? Phentermine definitely works for weight loss, but it comes with a few huge downsides. One is that it has highly aggressive stimulant effects, increasing the risk of adverse reactions. The second big issue with Phentermine is that you can only get it through a prescrption, and only if you meet the qualifications for it (BMI of 30 or higher, or BMI of 27 or higher with certain health conditions).
In that sense, Phenocal is definitely more easily obtainable. As an over the counter supplement, it contains a mixture of natural ingredients, including herbs and vitamins, some of which have been shown to assit with weight loss. However, Phenocal has some major issues, too. It’s got a proprietary blend which hides most of the ingredient doses, so we can’t tell how effective it will be. In addition, Phenocal is using several ingredients that haven’t been proven to work for weight loss. At the same time, it’s missing some core ingredients that would make it more effective at doing what the manufacturer claims.
The bottom line is: if you’re looking for a natural supplement that will help you lose weight in a safe and sustainable way, have more energy, and suppress your appetite and reduce sugar cravings, there are definitely better options available on sale right now.
Thank you. I have purchased the Phenocal, I will be trying it soon. I did however get my RX from my Dr. for the Adipex. I do believe I will try this one first. Phenocal has a 60 day return policy, so if my Adipex works I will return it. Thank you for the information. It was very helpful.